Welcoming a puppy into your home can be one of the most fulfilling, happy and heart warming experiences for you and your family. There is a huge assortment of various products you can buy for your puppy. Here are a couple tips to save you money and time when it comes to basic obedience and house breaking training your puppy.
1. Crate training your puppy is one of the most effective tools in your trainers kit for house breaking training. When selecting a crate for your puppy it’s important to take into account the size of the crate. Too big and your puppy’s house breaking training may progress slower since accidents are more likely to occur in one corner of the crate. A crate just larger than the size of your puppy is recommended.
2. When starting your on-leash basic obedience training we suggest a body harness like the one manufactured by Easy Walk. The snug fit around the puppy’s body sends a gentle signal when you are working on positive reinforcement training. It also allows you to get greater control of your puppy without the discomfort of tugging on her neck.
3. In high traffic areas play it safe and pick up a standard 4 to 6 foot standard training leash. Standard leashes that do NOT retract are the gold standard when it comes to teaching your dog on-leash obedience. Set your puppy up for success early on by using a standard training leash.
4. Positive reinforcement training is just as it sounds; reinforcing your puppy with something of high value when she performs a requested behavior. One of the highest value ‘things’ you can give your puppy is food or treats. It might take a couple tries before finding what your dog likes so start by purchasing small serving sizes at first. In our 12 years of experience, we’ve found Wellness Treats or Natural Balance to be two great high value products we use during our reinforcement training puppy walks. More information about high value training treats can be found in our previous post.
5. A urine elimination product is essential to completely removing the scent of urine in your home. Your puppy is bound to have an accident as she gets adjusted to her new surroundings. Vinegar, detergent, soap and water aren’t going to do the job. While you or I may not smell the scent of urine, your dog will. When it comes to house breaking training we strongly recommend Nature’s Miracle. This product breaks down the urine on a molecular level and completely wipes out the scent which is imperative for your puppy’s house breaking training success.
For more information on puppy house breaking training or to setup a dog walking routine that includes house breaking training please contact us to setup a consultation. Happy National Puppy Day!